[SPN-Discussion] In Wake of Sandy, New Yorkers Take on Climate Change

Tara DePorte tara at humanimpactsinstitute.org
Tue Nov 13 07:38:59 PST 2012

Dear NYC Climate Leaders!

At the Human Impacts Institute, we'd like to extend an invitation to you
for our revamp and public launch of the NYC Climate Coalition.  For those
of you who have been involved in the Coalition in the past, we hope you
will rejoin as organizations and individuals.  Now is the time to address
climate change in our City and we invite all of you to join us for the
press event (detailed below), as well as the first public meeting of the
new NYC Climate Coalition.  The meeting will be held this Sunday, November
18th at 3pm at Cubana Social: 70 North 6th Street (between Kent Ave and
Wythe Ave), Brooklyn, NY and we will be conducting a training on climate
outreach, have time for networking and brainstorming, and starting our
campaign for the next couple months, which will focus on reducing dirty
energy demands in our buildings around NYC.  You can find out more
information about the Coalition at: NYC Climate
Coalition<http://www.humanimpactsinstitute.org/NYCClimateCoalition.php>

Please, feel free to distribute widely and come join us!

Many thanks,

Tara

*
*

*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE*

*In Wake of Sandy, New Yorkers Take on Climate Change*

*The Human Impacts Institute invites citywide action with the NYC Climate
Coalition and celebrates award of solar power from Green Mountain Energy
for eco-workshops at East River State Park.*

*(November 12, 2012 - Brooklyn, NY)* – Following the unprecedented damage
to our City from Sandy, the Human Impacts
Institute<http://www.humanimpactsinstitute.org>(HII) invites New
Yorkers to unite in addressing local impacts of climate
change and disaster preparedness.  On Sunday, November 18, 2012, at 2pm,
the Human Impacts Institute (HII) will host a press event and public call
for climate action at East River State Park in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

“In the past weeks, we have seen the devastating vulnerability of our
community to a changing climate,” remarked Tara DePorte, Founder and
Executive Director of the Human Impacts Institute, “We are joining our
partners to mobilize New Yorkers in addressing climate change head-on
through direct action, education, and community organizing.”

HII will be receiving $1,500 worth of solar equipment as the winners of
Green Mountain Energy’s Vote Solar for Good non-profit challenge.  The
event will mark the donation of the solar generator to the community,
providing a model for reducing dirty energy impacts in New York City, as
well as an open invitation to all New Yorkers to join the NYC Climate
Coalition <http://www.humanimpactsinstitute.org/NYCClimateCoalition.php>—a
program of HII, which focuses on climate action and awareness. Speakers at
the event will include New York State Assemblyman Joseph R. Lentol, HII’s
Executive Director and other community partners.

“In light of Hurricane Sandy, we must accept that climate change is
happening and we must take the necessary steps to address it. The Human
Impacts Institute’s new New York City Climate Coalition is leading the way
in climate change education and awareness and I commend them on their
efforts,” remarked Assemblyman Lentol, “I would also like to thank Green
Mountain Energy for their dedication to the community of North Brooklyn and
for choosing the Human Impacts Institute as a winner. The solar generator
will undoubtedly have a positive effect on educating residents of North
Brooklyn, both young and old, about climate change.”

The solar generator will be housed at the Park and will provide clean
energy for HII’s eco-workshops and events, as well as other community
programs. East River State Park is an ideal stage for urban green
demonstrations with its soft-edge waterfront and iconic views of Manhattan
that bring tens-of-thousands of visitors per year.  As one of the few green
spaces in North Brooklyn, it also serves as a testament to the lack of
environmental buffers to natural disasters of the climate-vulnerable
waterfront. “We are so grateful to be awarded this community resource,”
commented DePorte, “and it’s a great addition to the innovative
demonstration areas—solar lighting, composting, rainwater harvesting, and
native species gardening—that we are working with the Park to develop as
educational tools.”

Following the press event, the Human Impacts Institute invites everyone
interested in addressing climate change to attend the Coalition launch at
3pm at local restaurant Cubana Social, 70 North 6th Street (between Kent
Ave and Wythe Ave), Brooklyn, NY, for outreach training and a hands-on
action project!**

*The Human Impacts Institute’s mission** is to inspire action for strong
communities and a healthy environment through hands-on education, creative
engagement, and coalition building. In 2011, HII provided over 250 hours of
education and outreach programs —reaching over 14,000 people in NYC and
other communities.  For more information: HumanImpactsInstitute.org*

* *

*Contact:* Tara DePorte,

Executive Director and Founder of Human Impacts Institute

HumanImpactsInstitute.org

tara at humanimpactsinstitute.org

Office: +1.917.727.9761

* *

--
Tara DePorte
*Executive Director and Founder*
*The Human Impacts Institute
*HumanImpactsInstitute.org<http://www.humanimpactsinstitute.org/>
Tara at HumanImpactsInstitute.org
*Office:* +1 917 727 9761

*Support* the Human Impacts
Institute<http://www.humanimpactsinstitute.org/HiiSupport.php>
!
*Like us!* facebook.com/HumanImpactsInstitute
*Follow us!* @HumanImpacts <http://twitter.com/humanimpacts>

*Adjunct Professor*
*The New School, *NYC* *
*Webster University, *Leiden, The Netherlands
Tara DePorteTeaching <http://www.taradeporte.com/TeachingMainPage.html>
*
Tara DePorte Art*
TaraDePorte.com <http://www.taradeporte.com/>