[SPN-Discussion] Friday, Oct. 30th, 6:30 p.m. Screening of "Bag It" about carry-out plastic bags

Elisa Dicaprio lisa.dicaprio at nyu.edu
Mon Oct 26 09:56:40 PDT 2015

Dear all: Please consider attending this free, film screening of "Bag It"
at which Jenny Romer will discuss legislation proposed by the City Council
that will require retail and grocery stores to charge a 10 cent fee for
paper and single use check out plastic bags. According to Kathryn Garcia,
the NYC Commissioner of Sanitation, the department typically collects 1,700
tons of plastic bags every week which costs NYC taxpayers $12.5 million
annually in landfill fees. The legislation will also reduce the harmful
environmental impacts from plastic bags. Lisa

Friday October 30, 2015– Screening of “BAG IT” When: Friday 10/30/15
screening starts at 6:30 pm. Doors Open at 6:00 pm. Where: Rutgers
Presbyteria

[image: UFA Climate Web Banner]

[image: Bag It]
*Friday October 30, 2015 – Screening of “BAG IT”*

When: Friday 10/30/15 screening starts at 6:30 pm. Doors Open at 6:00 pm.

Where: Rutgers Presbyterian Church at 236 West 73rd Street west of
Broadway, 5th Floor, New York City

Admission is free. We would appreciate any donation amount at the door,
which will go to the Rutgers Presbyterian Church for their good works and
their generous support of our movement.

Please join us in screening of *"Bag It"*, a documentary film about
single-use, carry-out plastic bags. These bags are made from finite fossil
fuel resources such as oil and natural gas. The bags are usually given out
for free by retailers and are generally used for a very brief time.
Ultimately, most of them end up in landfills, trees, sewerage systems, and
most disturbingly, in our oceans and other waterways. The toxins contained
in them are being found in marine animals and thus in our food supply. They
are decimating the aquatic ecosystem.

Following the 79-minute film, Jennie Romer will lead a Q&A session. Ms.
Romer is a national expert on plastic bag laws (see her *website
<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1445838989-6803931bd1680164ae755097cc572283-29440a7?pa=34095493724>*).
*Int 209
<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1445838989-c6a8427eb507879e3aa132a90a4aa633-29440a7?pa=34095493724>*
is a bill which has been introduced in the NYC Council to encourage
reusable bags. The bill is being spearheaded by Council Members Lander and
Chin and is currently before the NYC Council. It is also awaiting an answer
from the Mayor on whether or not he supports it. Come hear from Jennie what
lessons have been learned from other cities’ efforts and how those lessons
were incorporated into the proposed law for NYC. You’ll also learn more
about the BagItNYC coalition and their work to help encourage Mayor de
Blasio and council members who have not yet signed on to support the bill.

Here is a *trailer
<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1445838989-dba561cb22c445b37745d486d334652d-29440a7?pa=34095493724>*
for the film.

Please note that Rutgers Presbyterian Church which donated this venue for
our screening has standard communications equipment found in most offices,
including WiFi, that cannot be disconnected for the purposes of our event.

About the Film

Americans use 60,000 plastic bags every five minutes—single-use disposable
bags that we mindlessly throw away. But where is “away?” Where do the bags
and other plastics end up, and at what cost to our environment, marine life
and human health?

Bag It follows “everyman” Jeb Berrier as he navigates our plastic world.
Jeb is not a radical environmentalist, but an average American who decides
to take a closer look at our cultural love affair with plastics. Jeb’s
journey in this documentary film starts with simple questions: Are plastic
bags really necessary? What are plastic bags made from? What happens to
plastic bags after they are discarded?

Jeb looks beyond plastic bags and discovers that virtually everything in
modern society—from baby bottles, to sports equipment, to dental sealants,
to personal care products—is made with plastic or contains potentially
harmful chemical additives used in the plastic-making process. When Jeb’s
journey takes a personal twist, we see how our crazy-for-plastic world has
finally caught up with us and what we can do about it. Today. Right now.

See you at the movies on Friday October 30, 2015.

Thank you for all that you do.

The United for Action Team

www.unitedforaction.org
Please like us on *Facebook
<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1445838989-6a0fde15e796fc130bec0b65f461131b-29440a7?pa=34095493724>*
Please follow us on *Twitter
<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1445838989-1bd40ada824eaae577150f88e3babf09-29440a7?pa=34095493724>*

[image: facebook]
<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1445838989-b45fab09f922be2e12c4e4574d48d600-29440a7?pa=34095493724>
 [image: twitter]
<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1445838989-91de653c3e175c6a896d93558a0acebd-29440a7?pa=34095493724>

[image: 1px]

©2015 United for Action | United for Action, New York, New York

[image: Rounded Rectangle: Web Version]Web Version
<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1445838989-f8ac53d9214a1cbea9709f3f53863ca8-29440a7?pa=34095493724&amx=526600968>
[image: Rounded Rectangle: Forward]Forward
<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1445838989-2f437112e027f96b0060ff27d50d4deb-29440a7?pa=34095493724&amx=526600968>