[SPN-Discussion] Graduate Scholarships for Asia/Environment at Bard College + Student Research Conference

Eban Goodstein ebangood at bard.edu
Fri Feb 5 07:01:37 PST 2016

Dear  Colleagues,

Through the Henry Luce Foundation. we have a generous scholarship opportunity for graduate study in our MS Environmental Policy and MS Climate Science and Policy programs at the Bard Center for Environmental Policy. Students must be nationals of China, Japan or Korea. Please alert interested candidates.

In partnership with the Trace Foundation, we offer an additional, full-ride scholarship for Tibetan speaking students.

Bard's MS programs are centered around a multidisplinary core curriculum, a high-level extended professional internship, and an individually mentored capstone project. International students have the opportunity to gain up to six months professional work experience in the US through the MS programs, while working toward their degree.
In addition, please circulate to students and faculty the information about our second annual Student Research Conference--a great opportunity to showcase research coming out of your LIASE projects.

Finally, for faculty-- we are sponsoring a two-day conference on Art, Culture, Politics, and the Environment in Asia. Details on all this below.
Thanks very much— Eban Goodstein, Director Bard Center for Environmental Policy

LIASE Scholarship

Henry Luce Foundation Scholarships are available for students from East Asia (China, Japan or South Korea) to complete a two-year Master of Science degree in Environmental Policy or Climate Science and Policy starting August 2016. The LIASE Scholarships (Luce Initiative for Asian Studies and the Environment) provide a tuition waiver of up to 100% in the first year, and at least 50% of tuition in the second year. Students are responsible for travel costs, and for expenses for room and board. LIASE Scholarship students in the CEP program will participate in an annual conference featuring undergraduate and graduate research on Asia and the Environment with students from across the northeastern United States. Bard will award one two-year LIASE Scholarship to a qualified applicant each year for the next three years. LIASE Scholarship applicants must be citizens of one of China, Japan or South Korea, and must have a demonstrated interest in environmental policy in their region. Applicants for the LIASE Scholarship should, in addition to a regular application, provide a one-page letter discussing their research interests in Asian environmental policy. The LIASE Scholarship application letter should be emailed to Caitlin O'Donnell (codonnel at bard.edu) by May 15,  with the subject "LIASE Scholarship Application" to be considered.

Trace Foundation Scholarship

This joint scholarship of Trace Foundation and Bard College aims to support environmental-conservation professionals rooted in local Tibetan realities, for advanced training in current skills and knowledge in environmental sciences. The scholarship targets individuals who aspire to pursue careers addressing environmental challenges in Tibetan areas. Those with relevant prior professional experience will receive preferential consideration. To apply, candidates must meet Bard College’s requirements for academic preparedness and English proficiency and be fluent in spoken Tibetan.

Second Annual Student Research Conference on

Asia and the Environment

April 14-15, 2016

+

Boundaries/Crossings:

Art, Culture, Politics, and the Environment in Asia

April 15-16, 2016

Bard College is pleased to host two back-to-back conferences on Asia and the Environment: a research conference designed specifically for undergraduate and graduate students, followed by a two-day in-depth, scholarly focus on art, culture, politics and environment in transboundary context.  Please see the calls for papers and poster proposals below.

Asia/Environment Student Research Conference, April 14-15.

Undergraduate and graduate students engaged in research related to Asia and the environment are invited to submit posters and papers for presentation at this second annual conference.

Today it is impossible to think seriously about the challenges of sustainable development and the environment without understanding the local and global environmental footprint of rapid economic growth in Asia—and the Asian response. At the same time, Asian Studies students increasingly require familiarity with the scientific, cultural, and political dimensions of environmental crises and sustainable development.

With the support of the Henry Luce Foundation, Bard College is sponsoring this second annual student research conference, providing a venue for students to present undergraduate, masters and PhD level research at the intersection of these critical issues. The conference seeks to shed critical light on how we all might live sustainably—or not—in a 2050 world with three billion more people, limited resources, a thickening blanket of carbon dioxide heating the planet, and a global economic development process increasingly defined by Asian models and leadership.

The conference will be held on the campus of Bard College in Annandale-on-Hudson, NY in the scenic Hudson Valley, which is easily accessible by train from New York City. Registration is $30, and housing and meals will be provided for student participants. Meals are included for non-student registrants.

To learn more about the conference, please sign up for our mailing list here.

To submit a paper for a panel, or an idea for a poster presentation, please send a one paragraph abstract to jofrench at bard.edu. Undergraduate students must also include a letter of support from a professor. Proposals will be accepted through March 15, 2016.

Boundaries/Crossings: Art, Culture, Politics, and the Environment in Asia, April 15-16, 2016

 At the turn of the 21st century, we find our world beset by a growing sense of planetary environmental crisis. This crisis transcends national and regional borders and boundaries; nowhere is it more evident than across Asia. The Asian continent is both subject to intense contemporary pressures of environmental degradation and home to a rich variety of cultural and artistic traditions that represent and negotiate human beings’ relationships with the natural world. At the same time, as boundaries have become more fluid and the movement of people and capital accelerates, questions of natural resource use have become more contested and urgent than ever.

With the support of the Henry Luce Foundation, this conference explores the intersection between culture, arts, and politics in relation to nature and environmental resources in Asia. We aim to address how scholars, artists, and activists have approached the environment in the present and past. For example, how have the visual, literary, and plastic arts, depicted, shaped, and critiqued the dialectics of the artificial and the natural, the human and the non-human? What challenges do cultures and communities face vis-à-vis impacts upon their local ecologies, and how have they responded? How are understandings of nature configured at the level of localities, nation-states, and cross-border regions, and how is access to natural resource usage determined? How have cultural and political actors wielded the earth’s resources and raw materials to make public the precariousness of our ecosystem?

We invite papers from a spectrum of disciplines, so long as proposals address the relationships between art, culture, politics, and the environment in East, Southeast, and South Asia. Topics might include pre-modern poetics of nature and landscape, land and installation art, media representations of disaster, activism and political movements, conservation and conflict in protected areas, the cultural politics of rivers and forests, the place of NGOs in environmental governance, or the imagination of Asia in the global environmental movement, among many others. Just as many of the issues at stake transcend the national and approach the planetary, we are particularly interested in work that addresses transnational, transregional, and cross-border concerns. In addition to analytic papers, we strongly encourage artist and curator presentations, reports from involved parties, and discussions of pedagogical strategies for teaching on Asia and the Environment.

The conference will be held on the campus of Bard College in Annandale-on-Hudson, NY, in the scenic Hudson Valley, and easily accessible by train from New York City.

A small registration fee will be charged and meals will be provided. Nearby off-campus dormitory-style housing is available at a low rate, or can be arranged independently at local hotels and inns.

Eban Goodstein
Director, Bard MBA in Sustainability & Director, Bard Center for Environmental Policy
Bard College
Annandale-on-Hudson, NY 12504-5000	845.758.7067 (t) / 845.758.7636 (f)
www.bard.edu/cep  & www.bard.edu/mba
People's Climate March: Voices from the Street