[SPN-Discussion] SPN l NYU Stern Panel Discussion: 'Big Data and Sustainable Development' - April 14, 2016

SPN Events events at sustainabilitypractice.net
Wed Mar 30 06:34:25 PDT 2016

Panel Discussion Invitation
“Big Data and Sustainable Development"
 ……………………………………………………………………………
Host
NYU Stern Center for Sustainable Business

RSVP:  events at sustainabilitypractice.net <mailto:events at sustainabilitypractice.net>
Date:  April 14, 2016

Time:  6:00 – 8:00pm

Venue:  NYU Stern Kaufman Management Center, 44 W 4th Street, Room M2-60

Moderator: Vasant Dhar, Professor, NYU Center for Data Science and NYU Stern; Editor-in-Chief, Big Data Journal

Panelists:  Justine Dowden, Data Analyst Center for Sustainable Development, Columbia University; Nicole Barberis, Senior Data Scientist, Bloomberg LLP; Kirk Borne, Principal Data Scientist, Booz Allen Hamilton, PhD Astrophysicist; Louis Coppola, Co-Founder, Executive Vice President, Governance & Accountability Institute;
Topic:  'Big Data and Sustainable Development'

Big data presents big challenges—and big opportunities.  Referring to the seemingly infinite quantity of information now being recorded by recently developed technologies across a multitude of sectors—health care, transportation, finance, marketing, social media, agriculture and education to name a few—this is a time of unprecedented access to large volumes of information about our modern day lives.

The great quantity and quality of information that we have at our disposal has the potential to allow us to glean insights about the state of the world in which we live and the demands for the future. Public and private sectors and civil society are tapping into these data to design, monitor and evaluate policies. Increasingly, environmental, economic and social data are being leveraged for decision making and companies which provide services to aggregate and analyze these data are at the forefront of a data revolution for sustainable development.

As the world decides upon the indicators to measure progress towards the Sustainable Development Goals, there is an urgent need to mobilize data to hold governments and decision-makers accountable. With dire constraints to finite natural resources, rising populations and levels of inequality, how can we tap into big data to track progress and modify the status quo? What kinds of data and analytical tools will be relevant to the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda? What trends and practices may be useful and what are the greatest foreseeable obstacles which lie ahead?

About the Sponsors:

The Sustainability Practice Network (SPN) is a New York based inter-disciplinary community of professionals who seek to learn and share knowledge to advance sustainable development across sectors and disciplines. We mobilize our members to practice sustainability in their lives and work. Our mission is to raise awareness of the importance of individual and corporate sustainability and thereby create a more stable and equitable world.

NYU Stern Center for Sustainable Business (CSB) mission is to assist current and future business leaders develop the knowledge, skills, and experience needed to address environmental and social challenges, so their business can reduce risk; create competitive advantage; develop innovative services, products, and processes; while building value for society and protecting the planet.

Michael Block
Executive Director
Sustainability Practice Network
485 Broome Street # 2