[SPN-Discussion] 2017 Forum on Sustainable Agriculture -- April 27, 2:00 - 5:30 PM

Hayley Martinez hmartinez at ei.columbia.edu
Wed Apr 19 07:06:32 PDT 2017

Please see below about a panel event at Columbia University. There is a livestream option!

2017 Forum on Sustainable Agriculture: Building Regenerative Local Food Systems
Schapiro Hall (CEPSR) 530 West 120th Street, Davis Auditorium (Room 412, 4th Floor)<https://goo.gl/maps/pDcpL>
Thursday, April 27, 2017, 2:00pm - 5:30pm

The Columbia University Earth Institute, School of International and Public Affairs, Center for Agriculture and Food Security, and the Columbia Water Center presents the third annual Forum on Sustainable Agriculture. This series addresses how the agriculture sector is confronting the challenge of feeding a growing and increasingly affluent population while improving environmental and social performance and contributing to climate change mitigation and adaptation.

This forum will focus on small scale farming operations and other market participants contributing to the sustainability of local food systems, serving local, regional and in some cases national markets. We will explore how these players are improving land stewardship, producing nutritious crops and value-added products, revitalizing rural economies and facilitating distribution to urban and suburban markets. We will address the challenges to scaling up sustainable agriculture beyond what is now a relatively small percentage of the agricultural market. Finally, we will profile the role of Columbia University in advancing the critically important transition toward a more healthful and sustainable food system and seek input on how to best apply our capabilities to this end.

Please use this link to register:  https://events.columbia.edu/cal/event/eventView.do?b=de&calPath=%2Fpublic%2Fcals%2FMainCal&guid=CAL-00bbdcc6-5ab39a43-015a-b52dec3d-0000761fevents@columbia.edu&recurrenceId=

The event also will be live-streamed here: https://livestream.com/EarthInstitute/sustainableagriculture2017.

Moderator: Jeffrey Potent, Adjunct Professor, Columbia University Earth Institute and the School of International and Public Affairs;

Speakers:

1.       Michael Kinstlick, CEO and owner of Coopersea Distillery in upstate New York

2.       Paul Helgeson, former sustainability manager, GNP Company, a regional poultry processor and distributer located in St. Cloud, Minnesota

3.       Dr. Ruth DeFries, Denning Professor of Sustainable Development, The Earth Institute, Columbia University

Event Contact: Brian Hong bwh2129 at columbia.edu<mailto:bwh2129 at columbia.edu>