[SPN-Discussion] Circular Economy Network (CEN) Event Dec 10 at the Danish Cleantech Hub - Designing a Human-Centered Circular Economy

Sarah Bloomquist bloomquist.sarah at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 19:02:12 PST 2017

Hi All,

We're excited to announce the lineup for the next Circular Economy Network
(CEN) event
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/circular-economy-network-december-event-sharing-economy-product-design-ce-in-developing-countries-tickets-39921892455>!
Thanks to those of you who were able to join us for our kick-off event in
October at the Danish Cleantech Hub where we heard from 4 thought leaders
in the Circular Economy (CE). We're thrilled to continue the energy and
momentum at our next event, where we'll hear from three new speakers
on *Designing
a Human-Centered Circular Economy*. As with our first event, we'll hear
from each speaker then form breakout groups for small discussion, followed
by brief report backs and Q&A with the speakers.

Register here
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/circular-economy-network-december-event-sharing-economy-product-design-ce-in-developing-countries-tickets-39921892455>
and
we look forward to seeing you soon! Details below.

*DATE*: Tuesday, December 12, 2017
*TIME:* 6:30-8:30 PM EST
*LOCATION:* Urban Future Lab, Hosted by the Danish Cleantech Hub, 15
MetroTech Center, 19th fl, Brooklyn, NY 11204

In this December gathering of the Circular Economy Network, three New York
based thought leaders will cover three very different perspectives of a
circular economy:

   -

   *Trebor Scholz* <https://www.newschool.edu/lang/faculty/Trebor-Scholz/>,
   Associate Professor of Culture and Media at The New School, and author of,
   among others, *Platform Cooperativism: Challenging the Corporate Sharing
   Economy.*Theme: business models for an inclusive sharing economy
   -

   *Mark Prommel <https://www.linkedin.com/in/mark-prommel-3942366/>,* Design
   Director at Pensa, an industrial design and consultancy firm in NYC. Theme:
   product design
   -

   *Ranjith Annepu
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/ranjithkharvelannepu/>,* Co-Founder
   of Be Waste Wise and Waste Management consultant. Theme: circular economy
   in developing countries

The event is open to all experience levels. The speakers will present their
vision of a circular economy and the practical implementation of it, after
which participants will build on these perspectives in small break out
groups.

AGENDA

6.20-6.30 pm -- Arrival

6:30-7:20 pm -- Speaker presentations

7:20-7:30 pm -- Convene into small groups

7:30- 8 pm -- Small group discussions

8-8:30 pm -- Convene into full group for report backs and Q&A

SPEAKER BIOS

Trebor Scholz, Associate Professor of Culture and Media at The New School

Trebor Scholz is a scholar-activist and Associate Professor for Culture &
Media at The New School in New York City
<http://www.newschool.edu/lang/faculty/?id=4d54-5533-4d44-5534>. His
book *Uber-Worked
and Underpaid. How Workers Are Disrupting the Digital Economy*
<https://www.amazon.com/Uberworked-Underpaid-Workers-Disrupting-Digital/dp/074565357X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1470569339&sr=1-1&keywords=trebor+scholz>
(Polity,
2016) develops an analysis of the challenges posed by digital labor and
introduces the concept of platform cooperativism
<http://platformcoop.net/about> as a way of joining the peer-to-peer and
co-op movements with online labor markets while insisting on communal
ownership and democratic governance. His next book will focus on the
prospects of the cooperative online economy. His edited volumes
include *Digital
Labor: The Internet as Playground and Factory *
<https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Labor-Internet-Playground-Factory/dp/0415896959>(Routledge,
2013), and *Ours to Hack and to Own: Platform Cooperativism*. *A New Vision
for the Future of Work and a Fairer Internet* (eds. with Nathan Schneider,
OR Books, 2016). In 2009, Scholz started to convene the influential digital
labor conferences <http://platformcoop.net/events> at The New School.
Today, he frequently presents on the future of work, solidarity, and the
Internet to media scholars, cooperativists, lawyers, activists, designers,
developers, union leaders, and policymakers worldwide. Scholz is a member
of the Barcelona Advisory Council on Technological Sovereignty. His
articles and ideas have appeared in *The Nation*, *The Chronicle of Higher
Education*,*Le Monde*, and *The Washington Post.*

[image: Trebor Scholz]

Mark Prommel, Design Director at Pensa

Mark is a partner and the design director at Pensa where he leads and
mentors a diverse group of multi-faceted designers working at the
crossroads of design and invention. Throughout his 19+ years in product
design, he has followed his passion for shaping the physical products that
enhance everyday life. Mark has received numerous design awards including
IDEA awards, CLIO, Fast Company Innovation by Design, Core 77 Design
Awards, and Good Design Awards. He is also an inventor on dozens of design
and utility patents. In addition to his many years of successful
client-based work, he has led the design teams on Pensa’s award winning
internal efforts such as Street Charge and the Merge Urban Bicycle.

Ranjith Annepu, Co-Founder of Be Waste Wise and International Waste
Management Consultant

Ranjith Annepu is a Co-Founder of *be Waste Wise* and an International
Waste Management Consultant. He builds tools, systems, and institutions
which can foster and support long-term improvement in well-being on our
rapidly changing planet. He holds a Master’s degree in Earth and
Environmental Engineering from Columbia University and a Bachelor’s degree
in Chemical Engineering. He works in South and South-East Asia, Sub-Saharan
Africa, and Middle East. He consults for the World Bank Group, and the
Earth Engineering Center at Columbia University to improve decision making
in investments and governance through technology and policy analysis, life
cycle analysis, capacity building and knowledge dissemination. He also
manages a grant for waste management organizations in India and is the
India Coordinator for the Global WTERT Council.

SPONSORS

The Danish Cleantech Hub
<http://di.dk/English/dch/newyork/Pages/About.aspx> engages
with public and private New York stakeholders interested in learning from
the Danish experience. They provide a forum for informational exchange on
new approaches and solutions within energy efficiency, climate adaptation,
and resiliency.

*ABOUT THE CIRCULAR ECONOMY NETWORK*

The Circular Economy Network (CEN) is a new collaborative brought to you by
circular economy catalysts Sarah Bloomquist and Tessa Vlaanderen. We aim to
advance regenerative systems locally and globally through our monthly
interactive forums comprised of CE pitches followed by small breakout group
discussions. All experience levels welcome and a desire to learn and
collaborate is required.

Twitter: @CircEconomyNYC @SBloomquist @TessaVlaanderen
Email: CircularEconomyNetwork at gmail.com
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/12068372