[SPN-Discussion] Amplifying and Inspiring Impact: 2017 Impact Hours (FREE)

Tara DePorte tara at humanimpactsinstitute.org
Tue Mar 28 12:08:25 PDT 2017

The Human Impacts Institute <http://www.humanimpactsinstitute.org/> is
excited to invite you to join us for our 2017 Impact Hours series will dig
into ongoing environmental and social justice work, while sharing tools for
more effective personal and organizational action. Helping people navigate
the current climate of information “clutter” is more important than ever.
  Each Impact Hour will include perspectives from an artist, activist, and
academic on issues of communication, engagement, action, and impact.
Together, we will challenge each other’s assumptions and share practical
tactics for sparking social change. Join us in-person in NYC (space is
limited) or online from around the world.

Thank you to Invoking the Pause, a small environmental grants program and
the Brooklyn Art Library for their support of this series.

FREE Impact Hour: Communication that Counts

Thursday, May 11th, 2017, 12-1pm EDT

In-Person at the Brooklyn Art Library, Williamsburg NYC*

*Online participation link will be provided for online RSVPs

RSVP here:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/impact-hour-communication-that-counts-tickets-33250209271

We want to know...What do we need to communicate in the age of “alternate
facts”?We’re going to learn…making it personal, words that work, tools for
speaking up

Superpower you will develop….succinct and strong messaging

Invited Guests:

   -

   CONFIRMED Artist: James Hannaham, Pen/Faulkner award-winning author of
   Delicious Foods, visual artist, and Associate Professor. Humanities & Media
   Studies at Pratt Institute
   -

   Activist: Gypsy Guillén Kaiser, Director of Communications,
    International Women's Health Coalition
   -

   Academic: Todd Gitlin, Professor & Chair, Ph.D. Program in
   Communications at Columbia’s School of Journalism

All events are free and open-to-the-public.  Register here to participate.
Doors open at 11:30. FREE lunch will be provided.

_______________________________

FREE Impact Hour: Engagement Beyond the Choir

Thursday, June 8, 2017, 8:30-9:30am EDT

In-Person at the Brooklyn Art Library, Williamsburg NYC*

*Online participation link will be provided for online RSVPs

RSVP here:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/impact-hour-engagement-beyond-the-choir-tickets-33251113977

We want to know...How do we get people more effectively involved in complex
issues?

We’re going to learn…visual storytelling tricks, community organizing, arts
and activism links

Superpower you will develop….fearlessness to inspire others

Invited Guests:

   -

   CONFIRMED Artist: Christine Arroyo, Creative Director and MTV Music
   Video of the Year Award winner
   -

   Activist: Nantasha Williams, National Organizer, Women’s March on
   Washington and Candidate, New York State Democratic Assembly
   -

   Academic: Dipti Desai, Associate Professor of Art and Art Education, New
   York University

All events are free and open-to-the-public.  Doors open at 8am. FREE
breakfast will be provided.

_______________________________

FREE Impact Hour: Collaboration Across Borders

Thursday, July 13, 2017, 12-1pm EDT

In-Person at the Brooklyn Art Library, Williamsburg NYC*

*Online participation link will be provided for online RSVPs

*RSVP here:*
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/impact-hour-collaboration-across-boarders-tickets-27761619752

We want to know…How do we build strong and respectful alliances?

We’re going to learn…systems thinking for partnership, group listening,
movement history and makeup

Superpower you will develop….being an awesome ally

Invited Guests:

   -

   CONFIRMED Artist: Karen Johnson, Researcher and Systems Designer, Openbox
   -

   Activist: Nelini Stamp, organizer of #ResistTrumpTuesdays & National
   Membership Director, Working Families Party
   -

   Academic: Chris Kennedy, PhD in Education and Cultural Studies from the
   University of North Carolina, Co-founder of Chance Ecologies and Weedy
   Resistance

All events are free and open-to-the-public.  Register here to participate.
Doors open at 11:30. FREE lunch will be provided.

_______________________________

FREE Impact Hour: Sustaining Effective Action

Thursday, August 10, 2017, 8:30-9:30am EDT

In-Person at the Brooklyn Art Library, Williamsburg NYC*

*Online participation link will be provided for online RSVPs

*RSVP here:*
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/impact-hour-sustaining-effective-action-tickets-33254797996

We want to know…How do we decide what to do for max impact?

We’re going to learn…sparks for action, minimizing burnout, giving/doing
like you

Superpower you will develop….prioritizing your actions for the long-term

Invited Guests:

   -

   Artist: Kemi Ilesanmi, Executive Director, The Laundromat Project

   -

   CONFIRMED Activist: Phil Aroneanu, Campaigns Director at Purpose and
   co-founder of 350.org
   -

   Academic: Lukas Haynes, Executive Director, The David Rockefeller Fund
   or  Chris Cardona, Program Officer for Philanthropy at Ford Foundation

All events are free and open-to-the-public.  Doors open at 8am. FREE
breakfast will be provided.

_______________________________

FREE Impact Hour: Understanding Our Impact

Thursday, September 14th, 2017, 12-1pm EDT

In-Person at the Brooklyn Art Library, Williamsburg NYC*

*Online participation link will be provided for online RSVPs

*RSVP here:*
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/impact-hour-understanding-our-impact-tickets-33255227280

We want to know…What tools do we need to see how we’re doing?

We’re going to learn…how to know you’re making a difference, taking it to
the next level, diverse ways to support

Superpower you will develop….tracking and amplifying your impact

Invited Guests:

   -

   Artist: Isobel Yeung, Correspondent and Producer for HBO's Emmy-winning
   documentary show, VICE

   -

   Activist: Ezra Levin, President of the Board, Indivisible or Mark
   Connelly, Director of Online Campaigns, Moveon.org
   -

   Academic: Sophia Catsambis, Professor of Sociology, Queens College, City
   University of New York

All events are free and open-to-the-public.  Register here to participate.
Doors open at 11:30. FREE lunch will be provided.

Tara DePorte
*Executive Director and Founder*
*The Human Impacts Institute <http://www.humanimpactsinstitute.org> *
Tara at HumanImpactsInstitute.org
*Office:* +1 917 727 9761
*Like us!* facebook.com/HumanImpactsInstitute
*Follow us!* @HumanImpacts <http://twitter.com/humanimpacts>

*Tara DePorte Art, Teaching, and Speaking*
TaraDePorte.com <http://www.taradeporte.com/>