[SPN-Discussion] SCC Webinar: Next Tuesday, Jan 30 with Laura Hill

Ira Feldman ira at greentrack.com
Thu Jan 25 14:59:23 PST 2018

The next Sustainability Curriculum Consortium (SCC) webinar:

A learning-outcomes-based general education sustainability requirement

Laura Hill, University of Vermont

January 30, 2018 at 10AM Eastern

Register at:  <http://bit.ly/2DGftlL <http://bit.ly/2DGftlL>>

Webinar description:

The University of Vermont (UVM) adopted a learning-outcomes-based general education sustainability requirement in Fall 2015.  The requirement is unique because sustainability is a non-traditional general education theme, and general education requirements are routinely course-based, not learning-outcomes based. The learning-outcomes based nature of the requirement allo <>wed us to create a flexible requirement with three options: taking a sustainability-approved course, enrolling in a sustainability curricula, or engaging in an experiential endeavor whereby the learning outcomes can be met outside of the classroom.

We will present how the requirement was successfully implemented through strategic consideration of three important institutional contexts:  governance structure, academic culture, and the overall institutional environment. There were 3 stages: (1) pre-operational and sustainability learning outcomes development, (2) formal process and official adoption by UVM’s Faculty Senate, and (3) implementation.

As we discuss the institutional framework and the procedural steps taken, we will define key characteristics of success, including patience and genuine attention to process, deliberate and transparent action, willingness to collaborate, and an alliance of students, faculty, administrators, and staff.  Our case study can assist other institutions to develop their own strategies for adopting university-wide sustainability requirements.

Ira Feldman
founder & managing director
Sustainability Curriculum Consortium
1-202-669-1858