[SPN-Discussion] Teaching opportunity for climate-concerned educators across the curriculum (on-line)

Eban Goodstein ebangood at bard.edu
Mon Mar 23 11:55:31 PDT 2020

Colleagues,

On Tuesday evening April 7, the Center for Environmental Policy at Bard
College is coordinating 55 university-hosted webinars, one in almost every
state in the US and internationally, focused on ambitious but feasible
state and local solutions to help solve climate by 2030.
<http://www.solveclimateby2030.org/> At colleges, universities and high
schools, teachers can "make climate a class" (on-line) and help refocus the
nation and the world on the challenge that still lies beyond Covid 19:
climate change.

*This opportunity is not just for environmental studies classes. *The
issues raised in solving the climate crisis necessarily range across
history, science, mathematics, business, culture, economics, psychology,
religion, government, media, journalism, music and the arts. The project
has teachers guides for all these subjects
<https://www.bard.edu/cep/solardominance/resources/> for a one-hour
follow-up discussion to the state-level, solutions-focused webinars.

>From Nebraska to New Jersey, from Idaho to Alabama, and from Bangladesh to
Brazil, on April 7th, we'll find out what we can all do right at home to
smooth the path for clean energy, and to bring energy justice to our
communities. Professors can assign their state webinar as homework, and
follow up with an on-line, discipline-specific discussion in class. NOTE
that the webinars will be recorded, so you can view and discuss them in
class ANYTIME DURING APRIL AND MAY.

What can you do?

1. Take a break with your students from whatever you had planned during one
day in April, and use the recorded April 7 New York webinar, plus the
subject-area online resources,
<https://www.bard.edu/cep/solardominance/resources/> to
#MakeClimateaClass. Register
here for the webinar
<https://www.bard.edu/cep/solardominance/powerdialog/> (scroll
down and click on your state).

2. Pass on the opportunity to colleagues at other colleges, universities
and high schools.

Covid-19 has shown how fragile our health and economic systems are to
extreme events. Our best climate scientists have also told us clearly that,
unchecked, climate change will turn our lives into a series of unending
extreme events: floods, droughts, rising seas, pests and disease, more
extreme storms and hurricanes, leaving hundreds of millions of people
homeless and on the move.

There is still time to change that future. And now, this spring-- not next
year-- is the time to focus our students on feasible, ambitious, local
climate solutions. Thank you for engaging your students in this critical
dialog. Of course, glad to answer any questions.

Eban

--
Dr. Eban Goodstein /  Director, Graduate Programs in Sustainability / Bard
College

MBA in Sustainability <http://www.bard.edu/mba>
MS in Environmental Policy and MS in Climate Science and Policy
<http://www.bard.edu/cep>
M. Ed in Environmental Education
<http://www.bard.edu/cep/program/ms-education/>

845-758-7067