[SPN-Discussion] The Global Dialog on Climate Solutions Launches April 6th

Eban Goodstein ebangood at bard.edu
Mon Mar 15 05:12:32 PDT 2021

Beginning April 6, across the world and in every US State, over 125
universities
<https://www.bard.edu/cep/solardominance/find-your-dialog/#2021> are
hosting webinars on a Green Recovery, Climate Solutions, and a Just
Transition. <https://www.bard.edu/cep/solardominance/> From Austria to
Alabama, Kyrgyzstan to Kentucky, Colombia to Colorado, and Malaysia to
Minnesota, we will hear from local climate experts about concrete steps
that can really move the needle on climate change. Kick off Earth Month by
assigning your regional webinar as Homework-- either live or recorded-- and
engage your students in this critical dialog.

Please forward this message to all climate-concerned students and teachers
at the college and high school level.

Every discipline contributes to understanding climate solutions and climate
justice: whether you teach ART, LITERATURE, HISTORY, MATH, SOCIOLOGY,
BUSINESS. PHILOSOPHY, POLITICAL SCIENCE, MUSIC, BIOLOGY, DANCE etc…. You
don’t have to be an expert on this topic, as you can access easy-to-use
teaching guides
<https://www.bard.edu/cep/solardominance/resources/>complementing
the webinars provided by a global education project based at Bard College
in New York. Scientists have told us we have ten years to act to hold
global warming to the low end, and your students deserve a one-hour class
with you to talk about climate solutions  and climate justice—from your
disciplinary perspective.

Here is a blog post from Dr. Eban Goodstein
<https://leadthechange.bard.edu/blog/a-powerful-simple-way-to-fight-climate-change-makeclimateaclass>,
economist and Director of Graduate Programs in Sustainability at Bard,
explaining the idea of making climate a one-hour class in any discipline,
and the teacher’s guides that Bard has made available. And here is a
powerful 2-minute video <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zq-XLtHG7k> about
the project.

Here  are easy-to-use teachers guides to #MakeClimateAClass
<https://www.bard.edu/cep/solardominance/resources/> with discussion
questions for a one period climate-focused class through the lens of your
subject area. The templates include a homework assignment directing your
students to watch university-hosted webinars
<https://www.bard.edu/cep/solardominance/find-your-dialog/#2021> on climate
solutions and justice specific to your region or state.

Teachers/Professors: no excuse. Just because your lesson plan is done for
this semester, doesn’t mean you can’t change it.

Students: Asking your teachers to #MakeClimateAClass takes courage, but it
doesn’t take time. So copy and paste this e-mail
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TTtNLKO55Xu9uhqinpWe5FVGjMXTexPy/view?usp=sharing>,
and just do it. You will be surprised how many teachers will say yes, and
thank you for doing it.

We have ten years to solve climate—we can get a lot done in this decade.
But only if we focus the world on climate solutions and a just transition.
As an educator, please help your students learn how your area-- PSYCHOLOGY,
THEATER, ENGINEERING, PHYSICS, RELIGION, COMPUTER SCIENCE, CHEMISTRY,
DANCE, LANGUAGE and more-- is part of the solutions to this existential
challenge to our future. Take the Pledge to stay informed
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSccm9NU4sdmyn2etZcA6WwIf1GmvboqoJuDIukn7yGsfkiJrQ/viewform>
and #MakeClimateAClass this semester.

--
Dr. Eban Goodstein /  Director, Graduate Programs in Sustainability / Bard
College

MBA in Sustainability <http://www.bard.edu/mba>
MS in Environmental Policy and MS in Climate Science and Policy
<http://www.bard.edu/cep>
M. Ed in Environmental Education
<http://www.bard.edu/cep/program/ms-education/>

ebangood at bard.edu