[SPN-Discussion] Registration Open! 11/28 "Waste Not, Want Not: Rethinking Value in the Circular Economy" @ Dutch Consulate

Sarah Bloomquist bloomquist.sarah at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 04:28:03 PST 2018

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/waste-not-want-not-rethinking-value-in-the-circular-economy-tickets-52330091713

We hope you can join us on Wednesday November 28, from 6:30-8:30pm for
the Circular
Economy Network's <https://twitter.com/circeconomynyc?lang=en> latest
event: *Waste Not, Want Not: Rethinking Value in the Circular Economy. *We'll
hear from three thought leaders about the innovative and exciting ways
they're redefining value in the circular economy.

   -

   Jennifer Russell, Ph.D., Assistant Professor Sustainable Operations and
   Supply Chain at Bard College and Author of UNEP IRP report 'Re-defining
   Value - The Manufacturing Revolution'
   <http://www.resourcepanel.org/sites/default/files/documents/document/media/re-defining_value_-_the_manufacturing_revolution_summary_english_web.pdf>
-

   Austin Lee, Founder and CxO of bettercorp <https://bettercorp.nyc/>
   -

   Peter Schon, Industrial Designer, Chair of IDSA-NYC
   <http://www.idsa.org/>

ABOUT THE THEME

“Value” is one of the most important concepts in the discussions on
circular economy. You will find it in the definitions of a circular
economy: “A circular economy is restorative and regenerative by design, and
aims to keep products, components, and materials at their highest utility
and value at all times.[1]”. A 3,5min podcast on circular economy by
McKinsey & Co, mentions value 36 times[2]. But do we all have a shared
understanding of what value means? What do we value in the products we use?
What do we value about the businesses that deliver the products and
services that satisfy our needs?

In this event organized by the Circular Economy Network
<https://twitter.com/circeconomynyc?lang=en> (CEN), speakers of diverse
backgrounds will make us rethink our notion of value, changing our
perspective on the economics of a circular society.

AGENDA

6:20-6:30 pm - Arrival/Check-in

6:30-7:20 pm - Speaker Presentations

7:20-7:40 pm - Q&A

7:40-8:15 pm - Small Breakout Discussion Groups

8:15-8:30 pm - Networking

Light refreshments will be served. *Bring your own cup/glass if you can!*

*Please note that seating is limited and is on a first-come first-served
basis.*

SPEAKER BIOS

Jennifer Russell

Jennifer Russell teaches Sustainable Operations and Supply Chain in the
Bard MBA in Sustainability program. Her primary research involves
innovation in Circular Economy through market transformation and market
access, including the barriers and enabling mechanisms that may affect a
firm’s decision to engage in more sustainable and circular manufacturing
processes, including remanufacturing. Jennifer received her PhD in
Sustainability from the Rochester Institute of Technology. She also holds
B.S. and MBA degrees, and has more than 10 years of consulting experience
in corporate sustainability programming and policy, and material diversion
program design, throughout the USA, Canada, and Europe.

Peter Shon

Peter is a product designer with over 16 years of experience researching,
designing and developing products for the healthcare market. As the NYC
chapter Chair of Industrial Designer’s Society of America he has worked to
engage the NYC design community in building a more sustainable New York. In
2017 he co-developed Hack:Trash:NYC, a hackathon style event challenging a
diverse array of New Yorkers to develop innovative waste reduction
solutions using the theme of “reuse”. He’s also worked with the DSNY to
develop the current BetterBin competition which has engaged designers from
around the world in developing a next generation litter basket for the
streets of New York.

Austin Lee

Austin: "At bettercorp we connect systems of aligned capital. We do this by
guiding businesses along the path toward B Corp Certification and through
outreach of impact investing; what it is and how to get involved. Both of
these act as levers on the economy, allowing us to contribute to the future
through informed choice, while also signaling to others how to earn our
business and a place in a fair and equitable future.'

VENUE SPONSOR

The Consulate General of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in New York City is
part of a U.S.A.-wide network of diplomatic representations. CGNY aims to
facilitate Dutch companies doing business in the New York area, to expand
Dutch Culture in the U.S.A. and provides consular services. The Consulate
is proud to host this program of the Circular Economy Network. Website
<http://nlintheusa.com/> / Twitter <https://twitter.com/NLinNY> / Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/NLinNewYork> / LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/6496247>

------------------------------

[1] V. Moreau, et al.Coming full circle: why social and institutional
dimensions matter for the circular economy J. Ind. Ecol., 21 (3) (2017),
pp. 497-506

[2]
https://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/sustainability-and-resource-productivity/our-insights/why-the-circular-economy-is-all-about-retaining-value

   - Facebook