[SPN-Discussion] Webinar: K-12 Can Inform Sustainability in Higher Education

Ira Feldman ira at greentrack.com
Sat May 11 14:37:41 PDT 2019

SUSTAINABILITY CURRICULUM CONSORTIUM (SCC) Webinar

Wednesday, May 15, 2019
2:00 PM Eastern/11:00 AM Pacific

“What University-level Sustainability Educators Can Learn from K-12”

Jaimie Cloud
The Cloud Institute

In K-12 Education for Sustainability, we document, map and iterate our curricula.  Our units and courses are living documents that change over time with new knowledge and applied insights. There are many reasons why we do that, much of which is applicable at Higher Education.  This webinar will be a practical session designed to explore with faculty the ways in which we can embed the attributes of Education for Sustainability into our curriculum/courses and our teaching.  We will draw from the “Educating for a Sustainable Future: Benchmarks for Individual and Social Learning”* and the Cloud Institute’s “EfS Enduring Understandings, Standards and Performance Indicators” **as the references for the essential elements of Education for Sustainability.    Jaimie will discuss the brain science behind the kind of re-appraisal and re-framing required to learn for a sustainable future, and will demonstrate with participants how to distinguish between Education about un-Sustainability, education about Sustainability, and Education for a sustainable future.

* https://cloudinstitute.org/efs-benchmarks <https://cloudinstitute.org/efs-benchmarks>
** http://bit.ly/2WHWkFu <http://bit.ly/2WHWkFu>

Jaimie Cloud is a thought leader in the field of Education for Sustainability. She has authored The Cloud Institute’s EfS Framework, and several peer-reviewed journal chapters and articles on Sustainability and the significance of Education for Sustainability. Jaimie works extensively with educators, administrators, and school boards across the nation. She designs and facilitates professional development programs and directs the collaborative development of numerous instructional units and courses for K-12 and Higher Education designed to teach and learn across disciplines through the lens of sustainability. In addition to her commitment to furthering the mission of The Cloud Institute, Jaimie owns Miracle Springs Farm in Gallatin, NY where her team is making goat cheese and cultivating regenerative farming practices. She also serves as an advisor, board member or committee member to several organizations with related goals and interests.

To pre-register, go to:

http://bit.ly/2Wzmmuc <http://bit.ly/2Wzmmuc>

SCC BASICS

SCC Webinar Archive here <https://curriculumforsustainability.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5defa2f49cf6dbf9856fb5b31&id=3c861b66c3&e=36cbf5b484>.

SCC Update and SCC Distribution List:
To receive our newsletter and other announcements, sign up here <https://curriculumforsustainability.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5defa2f49cf6dbf9856fb5b31&id=bec439a0e4&e=36cbf5b484>.

The Sustainability Curriculum Consortium is incorporated in Maryland as a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization.

SCC is an AASHE member organization.

SCC is aligning its activities around three key themes:

• Pedagogy: Innovative approaches for ESD educators
• Substantive Content: Building capacity and sharing resorces on both fundamental topics and emerging trends
• Leadership: Understanding the significance of leadership in the ESD context

SCC email:
admin at curriculumforsustainability.org <mailto:admin at curriculumforsustainability.org>

SCC mailing address:
Box 34088, Bethesda, MD 20827, USA